terça-feira, 15 de agosto de 2023

BEX INTRODUCTION




Spiders have a bad reputation. They are often hated – and even feared. If they end up in someone’s house, they either get thrown out the window, drowned in the shower, or sucked up by the hoover, even through all they simply want to do is find a home or a mate. However, have you ever considered their perspective? If not, have a listen to SPYD4 KING by BEX, who is being hailed as punk’s new daughter. When Distorted Sound sit down to speak with her about her love of fashion, music, recent singles and future plans, she is bright and bubbly.



“This all started in 2021,” she explains. “It was me playing the bass guitar and doing song covers in my bedroom during COVID. Then I started writing my own music, and built a social media following before I released any music. In May 2022, I released my first song.” That song was Tiptoe, a bass-heavy punk song. Whilst others might find releasing music as daunting, BEX explains that she didn’t feel any pressure, as releasing music in the digital age is different. If anything, it was rather anti-climactic. “I remember I was sat in my room after it came out, and I thought: ‘what now?’ But it was also really exciting.”

Bass guitars play a huge part in BEX‘s music, and her songs are unique because there are two basses. “We didn’t always have two bass guitars,” she confesses. “My bassist, Josh, builds guitar pedals. He crafted this sound that made the bass sound like a guitar. He primarily plays the bass and I played the guitar. However, when I got my bass, I blew up on Instagram and TikTok for playing bass, so we compromised and both played the bass.”

BEX‘s lyrics are shrouded in metaphors; however, the meanings behind them are incredibly raw and important. Take Hazmat Suit (My Ass) as an example. It’s her favourite song that she has released, and for good reason. Whilst she was initially worried that people wouldn’t understand the message behind the song, she was proven wrong. “It was so well received. People got the message, and whenever we play it live, people sing along. It’s helped a lot of people, which means it’s actually doing its purpose,” she says, smiling proudly.











The story behind the song is a devastating one, but it is unfortunately one that is needed now more than ever. BEX knew a “really misogynistic” man at her university that she really didn’t like. They were talking once at university, and he was trying to persuade BEX and her friends to go clubbing. BEX didn’t want to because she doesn’t enjoy clubbing, but also because the clubs around her university had reports about girls getting spiked by injection. When the man sarcastically suggested that she should wear a hazmat suit. BEX ended up writing the song about him, and many men like him, and how much she hates them. Although she is proud that she is raising awareness of misogyny.

On a lighter note, her song SPYD4 KING is her favourite song to perform live. She wrote it with Sam Matlock from WARGASM, and her producer, who also happens to be called Sam. The song started off as a joke at first, and then formed into lyrics about how a small thing such as a spider can hold so much power over everything.

“Then there is the other perspective, which is people who are terrified of spiders, which are these tiny little things. This side talks about the anxiety and fears that the people have. On a deeper level, it is about how your problems and your life are so small. For some people, getting out of bed is such a big deal, but for others, it’s such a small task. It’s essentially saying: ‘how can you be afraid of something so small?’, but some people are. It might not be small to everyone.”

BEX might be hailed as punk’s new daughter, but she would describe herself as “riffy riot girl”, and she has been called “nu-punk”, which didn’t really take off. “It’s having a revival now,” she acknowledges. For those not familiar with nu-punk, it is like nu-metal. “It’s punk with a twist,” BEX explains.

Punk thrives off of individuality and there is nothing more individual than creating your own clothes. “I started making clothes when I was ten. For some reason, I never considered buying an outfit for when I needed one for going on stage. It was only until I met other people who don’t make their own stage clothes that I realised that they don’t. I thought it was just something that you have to do. I love making an outfit for every gig, and it’s good for a last minute gig, as you can mix-and-match the outfits. I like to stand out from the crowd.”

She’s had a great start to her career so far, but does the future hold for BEX? “World domination,” she jokes. “In all seriousness, we have a lot of music coming out this year. We have four festivals to play this year, including 2000trees Festival, and I’m really excited for it. It’s the best festival. We went last year as attendees, and I remember thinking how exciting it would be to play. We got the invite for this year and I screamed when I saw it. I have another single coming out next month, another one eight weeks after that, and then I have an EP out in October.”

With her own unique style, a clear passion for music, and a warm and bubbly personality, it is clear as day that BEX is a name to watch.

For more information on BEX like her official page on Facebook.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário